Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A New Thing 6


Wild Wineberries Drained
Originally uploaded by jjfbaltzell
I tried finding this picture with Flickr Color Pickr, but I've come to the conclusion that that particular tool is really just for browsing rather than looking for a specific image. In the meantime, I'm attempting to have some fun with Trip Planner in an effort to add the hundreds of pictures that I'm going to be taking on my vacation to Europe this fall. I also played around with Spell with Flickr, but wasn't able to figure out how to publish the images. If anyone else knows how, let me know. I'm confused.

But back to this picture. When I was a child, we had a large wineberry bush in our backyard. We also had a couple of black raspberry bushes, in other parts of our yard. I mentioned this at work yesterday (I don't remember what we had been discussing earlier)and received a myriad of blank stares. What in the world were wineberries? Were they a cousin to grapes? Did I possibly mean raspberries?

No, I insisted. Wineberries are a completely different berry than raspberries. They are the same approximate size and shape as black raspberries, but they're bright red and tarter in taste. Its foliage is also fuzzier (and therefore have less thorns) than the foliage of raspberries.

In the picture, the dark berries are black raspberries (I'm assuming. Since I don't know the person who posted this picture, I can't just call him/her up and ask.) The bright red ones, even though they may look like red raspberries, are wineberries.

Since I moved away from home, however, I have been hard pressed to find a good wineberry bush. Does anyone know where they might be found? What about any good recipes? It would be neat to bring something into work for all of my coworkers who have never heard of this delicious food.

No comments: