Thursday, September 29, 2011

Where the Wild Things Are

So in a moment of sheer insanity, about two weeks ago I cast on this sweater, with the intention of finishing it for Rhinebeck (which is in two weeks).

Last night, I sat down to finish the two sleeves. I had maybe ten rounds left. Things were going well. This was great, I thought. I'll finish the sleeves and the ribbing on the body of the sweater tonight.

Right. This is how last night went:

7:00. Sit down in front of tv and turn on Orioles/Red Sox game to knit to. Marvel on the fact that this is actually my tv knitting.

8:30. Finish the sleeves. Perform happy dance.

8:45. Cast on stitches for body after measuring gauge on sleeves. Twice. Place stitch markers every 50 stitches in the process.

8:45-9:20. Work on the ribbing of the body of sweater.

9:25. Realize that, in spite of careful placement of stitch markers, I have failed in the most basic of skills that is counting and cast on 40 extra stitches. Rip out.

9:30. Rain delay in Baltimore. I console myself with restarting my ribbing by switching channels to watch the Yankees/Rays game.

9:30-11:00. Work on ribbing, after counting twice to make sure I have the correct number of stitches this time. Swtitch back and forth between the Yankees/Rays and the Phillies/Braves.

11:00. Play resumes in Baltimore. By this point, I have worked approximately 7 rounds of ribbing.

11:00-12:15. I'm not entirely certain what exactly I did during this stretch of time. I thought I was knitting, but by the end I had only worked a little over 2 rounds.

BUT HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT DID YOU SEE THAT GAME IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER TOTALLY WORTH THE LACK OF KNITTING MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS STILL GOING CRAZY!

12:15-12:45 Finish the tenth round of ribbing while trying to catch my breath and get my heart rate back under control.

12:50 Take a few very deep breaths and realize I need to go to bed, despite the fact that I am still super-adrenaline filled.

Yeah. That was last night. THIS IS TOTALLY WHY BASEBALL IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST GAME EVER!

Bucky Dent and Mookie Wilson? Meet Robert Andino, Dan Johnson, and Evan Longoria.

Where the wild things are. Maurice Sendak truly has never said it so well.

No comments: